1. Guacamole and Chips
- 3 Haas avocados, halved, seeded and peeled
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 2 Roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 1 clove garlic, minced
1. In a large bowl place the scooped avocado pulp and lime juice.
2.Drain, and reserve the lime juice, after all of the avocados have been coated.
3. Using a potato masher add the salt, cumin, and cayenne and mash.
4. Fold in the onions, tomatoes, cilantro, and garlic.
5. Add 1 tablespoon of the reserved lime juice.
Let sit at room temperature for 1 hour and then serve.
2. Mini Italian Club Sandwiches
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons whipping cream
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon (about) unsalted butter
- 10 slices bacon
- 2 (8-ounce) round loaves focaccia bread (7-inch diameter)
- 1 cup purchased pesto
- 8 ounces thinly sliced turkey
- 4 ounces thinly sliced provolone cheese
1. Whisk the eggs, cream, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl.
2. Brush a skillet with some butter.
3. Pour 1/4 cup of the egg mixture into the pan, swirling to coat the bottom of the pan evenly.
4. Cover and cook until the egg crepe is just set, about 1 minute and 30 seconds.
5. Invert the skillet over a plate, and allow the egg crepe to drop onto the plate.
6. Cook the bacon in a heavy large frying pan until crisp.
7. Cut the focaccia horizontally in half. Place the focaccia cut side down on the griddle and cook until the focaccia is heated through and golden brown on the bottom, about 2 minutes.
8. Spread the pesto over the toasted sides of each halved focaccia. Cover the bottom halves of the focaccia with the egg crepes,turkey, provolone and bacon, dividing equally. Cover with the top halves of focaccia, pesto side down.
9. Cut the sandwich into bite-size wedges. Arrange the sandwiches on a platter and serve.
3. Jumbo Shrimp Stuffed with Cilantro and Chiles
- 8 jumbo shrimp, in the shell (about 1 1/4 pounds)
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves stripped
- Juice of 2 limes (about 1/4 cup)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus additional for seasoning
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1/2 large jalapeno, with seeds
- 2 scallions (white and green parts)
- 1 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro leaves
1. Prepare an outdoor grill with a medium-high fire.
2. Without removing the shells, slit about 3/4 of the way through the shrimp down the ridged back. Rinse and pat the shrimp dry.
3. Whisk thyme leaves, lime juice, 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon of the salt and black pepper, to taste, in a shallow nonreactive bowl or dish.
4. Lay the shrimp cut side down in the lime mixture and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
In a food processor, pulse the garlic, jalapeno, scallions, remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt to make a coarse paste. Add the cilantro and pulse , spoon the mixture into the opening in the shrimp and close the shrimp.
5. Grill the shrimp shell side down for 3 minutes. Turn to the other shell side, cover, and grill another 2 minutes or until the shrimp turn pink and are slightly firm to the touch.
1. Blackberry Crumb Cake
FOR THE CRUMB TOPPING:
- 1/2 cup pecans
- 1/3 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
- 2 tablespoons cold unsalted butterFOR THE CAKE:
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces, plus more for the pan
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 pound fresh blackberries (about 3 1/2 cups)
1. Heat oven to 350º F.
2. Make the crumb topping: In a food processor, pulse the pecans, brown sugar, flour, and butter until crumbly; transfer to a bowl and set aside.
3. Make the cake: Butter an 8-inch square baking pan. In the food processor, pulse the butter, flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon until crumbly. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, and vanilla. Add the flour mixture and mix just until combined.
4. Transfer the cake batter to the prepared pan. Sprinkle with the blackberries and crumb topping. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 55 to 60 minutes.
5. Let cool completely in the pan before serving.
1. Press ½ gallon (4 pints) softened vanilla ice cream into a 9-inch spring-form pan. Freeze until slightly firm, 10 to 15 minutes.
2. Top with 1 cup caramel sauce (slightly warmed, if too thick) and ½ cup toasted sliced almonds. Freeze until firm, at least 1 hour and up to 2 days. To serve, remove from pan and slice.
- 2 peaches, cut into 2 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 cups raspberries
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 pint vanilla ice cream
- In a large bowl, combine the peaches, raspberries, sugar, and lemon juice and let sit, tossing once, for 20 minutes.
- Scoop the ice cream into bowls or glasses and top with the fruit mixture.